Yoga Benefits the Body, Mind, and Spirit!
September 29, 2015
Has the topic of yoga been coming up in conversations lately? Have you wondered what all the rage is about? Yoga is more than a workout class and it also has the benefits of exercise. It is more than a relaxation exercise yet it has the benefits of reducing tension in the body. Yoga is an ancient practice that benefits the body, mind and spirit of the individual. Through the years, there has been a lot of research done to identify the benefits of yoga. Research has found that regular yoga practice can aid in the following areas:
1. Improves flexibility and posture
2. Strengthens muscles, bone and increases physical endurance
3. Decreases potential for heart attacks and strokes
4. Reduces high blood pressure
5. Reduces depression and anxiety
6. Inspires conscious eating
7. Lowers blood sugar and LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and boosts HDL (“good”) cholesterol
8. Improves coordination, reaction time, memory, and even IQ scores
9. Improves sense of relaxation
10. Improves relationships with self, others and the Divine
(Source: Timothy McCall, M.D., medical editor for Yoga Journal & board-certified specialist in internal medicine.)
My personal experience of yoga has had many healing aspects in my life. I have suffered from pain due to a back injury for ten years. With a regular yoga practice I have been able to discontinue pain medication and increase my flexibility. Through yoga, I have also gained more inner peace and personal confidence. September is National Yoga Month…give yoga a try…you might be surprised with the benefits of your experience.
– Michelle Waters, LMHC, Director of Spiritual and Health Integration, Hillcrest Family Services